Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Barely Survived

I almost didn't make it through opening day of football.  Our day started with a game at 8:00 on a Sunday morning.  Ryan is doing much better with listening and paying attention.  I think he is starting to understand what he is supposed to do.  In practice on Friday he actually pulled the flag of the person who had to ball.  It does require a bit of bribery to get him to stay focused.  In the photo below I believe Rob is telling him he will get McDonald's and a new Webkinz if he does well.  As you can see in the photo under that one he is going straight to the kid with the ball.  It really does work but I'm not sure how long we can afford to do it (I don't think Rob realized how much Webkinz cost).  I'll have to tell him to offer less pricey items, maybe candy would be better.  



Bribery works.

Two hours later and one minor injury to his leg the game was over but I couldn't tell you which team won.  I am clueless as to what's going on.  For some reason I just can't keep up with football.  I just know you are supposed to stop the other team from getting a goal and when you have the ball you're supposed to try and make a goal.  Is goal the correct term, or is it touchdown?

After the game was my two hour shift in our teams bake sale booth.  Did I mention that I had to also bake items for the booth?  Yes, I was up until 1:00 am the night before baking cupcakes, brownies and a cake for the Cake Walk.  It was blazing hot and humid on Sunday too and I don't operate well in heat over 78 degrees.   It was nice to get a chance to chat with some of the other parents, since Rob usually takes Ryan to practice I don't really know anyone.  I had to keep my eye on Ryan too while in the booth.  He was pestering everyone in all the other booths especially the people who were drawing tattoos with markers.  Maybe it's because he is so interested in art and loves to draw but I saw him over there watching them for a good part of the two hours.  I can only imagine what kind of things he was trying to get her to draw on his arm.  I gave him a couple of dollars and he came back with a duck on one arm and her interpretation of a Tasmanian Devil and a football on his other arm.

At noon the Opening Day Ceremony began.  I made the mistake of sitting on the bleachers instead of under a shady tree.  It went on and on with introductions of the mayor and the league board members before they presented all the teams.  Ryan's coach did the best introduction of their team.  He was the only coach who knew all the kids names and positions without looking at a list.  The ceremony was way to long for the little guys and his coach let them off the field before it was over, thank goodness.  When I climbed down off the bleachers I realized I had a bit of heat exhaustion.  When I hit the ground my legs got wobbly and I got lightheaded and dizzy and almost had to lie down on the grass to catch my breath, then I noticed the headache. After I recovered a bit we said our goodbyes and headed down the hill to the car.  I got Ryan's McDonald's on the way home and then I crashed.  I was so sick I had to take a nap.  When I woke up it was almost 4:00 in the afternoon and we still had to go out to get Ryan's Webkinz. Lucky for me the Red Bee stays open until six on Sundays.

So, I barely survived my first full weekend of football.  I'm not used to being outside in the heat for so long.  I will have to be better prepared the next time.  I've gotten myself a new little cooler on wheels, a new portable chair, I'm searching for an umbrella and I now know not to ever attend any sporting event without these things.

2 comments:

Scrappy Running Me said...

congrats on surviving (even if just barely)!

i tagged you...check my blog (www.scrappynan.blogspot.com)
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

i guess since i have seen you literally melt/combust into one of your heat induced episodes i find this very amusing. i can see it all happening...